cmzoid
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

[Finished] Larvesta Empty
PostSubject: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Proposed Sets

Set 1 : Offensive
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Timid
IV spread: 31/even/31/30/31/31
Hidden Power: Grass
Egg Moves:
-Morning Sun
-Magnet Rise
-Endure
-Foresight

HP Rock seems to provide the best overall coverage alongside its STABs, giving it a way to deal with Fire and Flying types. I have never bred for hidden powers before though, so I will need help with the spread and someone to lend me a relevant Ditto :)Egg moves are useless but meh. I figure Swarm is a decent ability on more offensive sets as it at least gives it some benefit if you're forced to switch into stealth rocks.

Set 2 : Bulkarona
Nature: Bold
IV spread: 31/xx/31/31/31/31
Hidden Power: Not relevant
Egg Moves:
-Morning Sun
-Magnet Rise
-Endure
-Foresight

This one seems easier to do. Flame Body is used to burn your opponent as they as they try to take you down.

Progress

Discussing now.

Last edited by Magikarpus on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:11 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 8:28 pm

No one likes Volcarona? Sad At least need some input on the HP type before I can start breeding.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 pm

I've seen HP grass used a lot on the Quiver Dance sets (the set most people would use, I think)

I think I would use this set :

Nature: Timid
IV spread: 31/x/31/30/31/31 where x must be even
Hidden Power: Grass
Egg Moves:
-Don't care. None of them are useful.

And then you could also make your defensive set. But I think the Quiver Dance set is the only one I've ever seen used competitively, along with the Rain set with Hurricane.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 pm

HP Rock is the best way to go, imo. Grass would be good though, I forget that Giga Drain is only a tutor move.
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Yeah, I totally overlooked Giga Drain being move tutor only, I thought it learned it via level up :/

This is kinda tricky, as both moves cover different things. Also Volcarona is hovering around the UU cutoff and the threats it has to deal with could be very different in a couple of months (no thanks to Talonflame...)

Will need more opinions.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 pm

With Quiver Dance / Flamethrower / Bug Buzz / HP Rock, Volcarona has nothing to hit Rock types and can't do much to all the water/ground types like Quagsire and Gastrodon unless it got at least 2 Quiver Dance. That's the reason I prefer Grass. Rock provides coverage against fire, but Volcatona isn't weak to fire so it doesn't matter as much if it can't OHKO. Against a rock or water/ground pokemon, you OHKO or you die. But both work, I guess it comes down to personal preference and to what other pokemon are on your team.

EDIT: Well I forgot that Talonflame b**ch. XD
But since its flying moves get priority, I guess still see no point in having a move to cover it. o.o
Back to top Go down
cmzoid
Cloner
cmzoid

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm also in favor of HP Grass. Otherwise, as Mademoiselle C said, it will have nothing to touch Rock or Water. Sort of a meh typing though, HP Grass gives you coverage for Rock... but it would already get wrecked by Stealth Rock...
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Yeah, a spinner is essential on a team with Volcarona.
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Mademoiselle C wrote:
Rock provides coverage against fire, but Volcatona isn't weak to fire so it doesn't matter as much if it can't OHKO.

Ya okay, this is swinging it for me. Rock has much better neutral coverage, but nearly all the stuff that still resists its moves with grass is irrelevant anyway + the SE coverage is more important. Gonna do your set then (with the terrible egg moves, cause that's just the sort of person I am Razz)

EDIT: And as far as I was aware, the Bold set still uses QD anyway, with the aim being to set up 2 or more of them with the added bulk and Roost off any damage. Honestly, who would use Volcarona WITHOUT QD? o_o
Back to top Go down
PotatoClan
Breeder
PotatoClan

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 10:12 pm

Magikarpus wrote:
Mademoiselle C wrote:
Rock provides coverage against fire, but Volcatona isn't weak to fire so it doesn't matter as much if it can't OHKO.

Ya okay, this is swinging it for me. Rock has much better neutral coverage, but nearly all the stuff that still resists its moves with grass is irrelevant anyway + the SE coverage is more important. Gonna do your set then (with the terrible egg moves, cause that's just the sort of person I am Razz)

EDIT: And as far as I was aware, the Bold set still uses QD anyway, with the aim being to set up 2 or more of them with the added bulk and Roost off any damage. Honestly, who would use Volcarona WITHOUT QD? o_o

I have seen a Baton Pass team built around Volcarona where the whole team boosted Volcarona to the point that it would've destroyed my team if I didn't have Talonflame (I do know that Volcarona doesn't have BP. Other Pokemon boosted Volcarona, not the other way around. It was a one-way trip)
Back to top Go down
ed819
Breeder
ed819

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm in favor of HP rock. But I'm not much of a competitive battler haha. I just think that it would be a good coverage move against dragonite or salamence.
Back to top Go down
PotatoClan
Breeder
PotatoClan

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 9:05 am

ed819 wrote:
I'm in favor of HP rock. But I'm not much of a competitive battler haha. I just think that it would be a good coverage move against dragonite or salamence.

HP Rock 2x effectiveness: 60*2 = 120
Bug Buzz STAB: 90*1.5 = 135
Bug Buzz is superior ><
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 9:22 am

PotatoClan wrote:
ed819 wrote:

HP Rock 2x effectiveness: 60*2 = 120
Bug Buzz STAB: 90*1.5 = 135
Bug Buzz is superior ><

Bug Buzz has 1/2x effectiveness though
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 9:37 am

The thing is, you're gonna lose to something. If I'm not mistaken, bug is not effective against ground, right? So you either take out ground/water or fire/flying. Hp rock isn't going to take out anything 2x effective without a lot of boosts, especially dragonite. Idk, I'm leaning toward grass since those are pokes you can switch in on (after a kill) and scare away. Talonflame beats you and mega char y beats you with a speed tie if it carries ap. Grass seems to grant you more shots top set up your boosts, but rock under a few boosts is better. That is very tough.
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 9:47 am

I might just breed both at this rate. One other potential argument in favour of rock is that Z will inevitably come out and the Giga Drain tutor will return xP But we can't guarantee that, so...

For now I'm going with Grass because bash678 offered to lend a HP grass ditto.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 10:07 am

If giga drain guy doesn't return, me and my soundproof mega Abomasnow are going to be mighty unhappy.
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Oh my, this hatch rate

Now I see why no one wanted to do Larvesta Razz
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 4:52 pm

You can do this!
Gimme an M! Gimme an A! Gimme a G, I, K!
Gimme an A! Gimme an R! Gimme a P, U, S!
Go MAGIKARPUS!!
Whooooo!
Back to top Go down
Magikarpus
Project Manager
Magikarpus

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 12:06 pm

Bred a rather nice 31/4/31/30/31/31. That's the HP Grass set done. Just need to do the bulky one now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Larvesta   [Finished] Larvesta Empty

Back to top Go down

[Finished] Larvesta
Page 1 of 1