Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

[Finished] Sandygast Empty
PostSubject: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptySun Feb 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Proposed Sets

Set 1 : DEFENSE
Ability: Water Compaction
Nature: Calm
Item: Bottle Cap
IV spread: 31/xx/31/31/31/31
Hidden Power: None
Egg Moves:
- Destiny Bond
- Stockpile
- Ancient Power
- Amnesia

Set 2 : TRICK ROOM OFFENSE & EVASION in SANDSTORM
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Quiet
Item: Bottle Cap
IV spread: 31/odd/31/31/31/0
Hidden Power: Ice
Egg Moves:
- Destiny Bond
- Stockpile
- Ancient Power
- Amnesia

Last edited by bash678 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptySun Feb 26, 2017 7:48 pm

I know I'm going to be lambasted for this, but I really don't think Water Compaction is a good ability, at least not for this. It's a shame too, because even though I started out hating this one, I actually appreciate this design so much more than many others.

I guess it does take the defensive Pokemon's Scald and use it, but that is it. No offensive water type and especially no physical water type won't just kill it or damage it so much that it doesn't matter. The best case scenario I think is exactly what you said Bash, use Assault Vest and switch into a Gastrodon Scald or something. But that sucks because then you can't use Shore Up, and instant recovery on a ground Pokemon isn't all that common. Plus, Water Compaction doesn't help if you just keep taking Scalds.

Another niche to consider bash is abusing Sand Veil (HA) on a Trick Room team (31/odd/31/31/31/0 Quiet would solve the HP spread too since it would be HP Ice). It gets an awesome boost to Shore Up under sand, and actually pairs pretty well with Gigalith (it pairs really well with Tyranitar).

Of course, there's this (totally makes Water Compaction worth it)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjK3OdGJJk

Forgive me linking a Verlisify video, but it's about all there is.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 4:14 am

I'm with you on this one. I started out not paying attention to this guy and eventually it grew on me as I made it part of my in-game team.

On paper, I thought Water Compaction would make a good ability, especially for a Pokémon with a possible defensive role. I had initially dismissed Sand Veil as too "gimmicky" but, you're right, with Shore Up, it gets some sort of niche with 100% recovery in sandstorm.

How about we make two? A Water Compaction set and Sand Veil set?
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 am

I was going to suggest this yeah. Water compaction has it’s uses no doubt, I’m not discounting it. But it needs a Passho berry I think to make use of it.

And actually seeing how well Gigalith pairs with trick room, perhaps the sand veil one could be Quiet?

Also, I have little ones of this if you want them (I think...)
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Bunselpower wrote:
I was going to suggest this yeah. Water compaction has it’s uses no doubt, I’m not discounting it. But it needs a Passho berry I think to make use of it.

And actually seeing how well Gigalith pairs with trick room, perhaps the sand veil one could be Quiet?

Also, I have little ones of this if you want them (I think...)

You have an HA one? A reject would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Yeah, just got it recently. Are you around right now? I’m at lunch and I think I can actually send it over.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm around but I don't have my DS with me as of the moment. It's at home. I can be on later tonight though (early evening for you), if that's ok.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Should work just fine. I’m usually home at 430 central.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Hey Bunsel, I'm around now. I'll regularly check the group in case you log back in.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 4:33 pm

I will be home about an hour from now, just as a heads up.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 pm

No problem
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 5:44 pm

I am ready to roll. If I could get that breedject back at some point, I'm starting a thing where I'm keeping a single breedject copy so I can always breed up without needing 4 heart scales. But it's 4IV with all the egg moves, so seriously, keep it until you breed the perfect off of it, I do not need it right away at all. Just a backup.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 7:14 am

I'm eager to start breeding this one. If there are no further thoughts from others, I'll proceed with the aforementioned sets.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 3:21 pm

So I just read this thread for the first time and haven't you guys heard of the Water Shuriken Smeargle and Water Compaction Palossand combo? You make your Palossand max special defense (so not Bold) and you hit it first turn with a priority minimum attack Water Shuriken to boost its defense a couple times.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Yeah, there's a video link from Bunsel's post above that shows that strategy. Pretty neat.

I just chose Bold because I had still considered Water Shuriken to be Physical. But you're right, it is now Special so Calm would be better.

We can change the first set to Calm. Either one, Bold/Calm, it's fine with me, it doesn't matter much.

Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptyTue Mar 07, 2017 4:21 am

So I'm in the process of getting this done.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast EmptySun Mar 26, 2017 2:38 pm

This is done.

I took the time to really beat the Battle Tree and I finally did it! I beat Red in Super Singles!!

My team was Kartana, Garchomp, and Tapu Lele. Always led with the paper, only switched on a predicted Thunder Wave or Fire move.

I had some really close calls on the way to 50 against:

- a Quick Claw Kanto Muk
- Dragon Dance Gyarados (D-Danced on the switch to Tapu Lele for Thunderbolt, then D-Danced again, thankfully it never attacked)
- stall Cresselia holding Leftovers from a Veteran (Moonlight, Double Team, Toxic, Protect). I was down to my Kartana at half health and this thing was a massive pain. Finally, I made sure to save a few moves on Smart Strike after praying for a crit from Night Slash or Leaf blade (also prayed that it hit).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Sandygast   [Finished] Sandygast Empty

Back to top Go down

[Finished] Sandygast
Page 1 of 1