Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

[Finished] Tirtouga Empty
PostSubject: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 6:48 am

Proposed Sets

Set 1 : Mixed Attacker
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Naive
Item: Weakness Policy
IV spread: 31/31/31/31/31/31 (going for full 6IVs)
Hidden Power: Not Relevant
Egg Moves:
- Knock Off
- Rock Throw
- Body Slam
- Flail

Based on discussion, this seems to be the best set. Nature is Naive.

Finished with 6IV

Last edited by bash678 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 am

With his low speed, you want jolly to maximize. Fully invested and doubled, this thing actually can go. It outspeeds base 113 by one point. Other than that, is a toss up of abilities. Solid Rock helps you to live hits, but sturdy guarantees it. Since its typing is bad defensively anyway, I like Sturdy.

A set I find can ruin a team is Sturdy, Shell Smash Weakness Policy. In one turn you can get to +4/+4/+2. Another option is Salac Berry, but with Aqua Jet, I like Weakness Policy better.

Another option (and one I don't have lol) is to run Naive. It has a base 83 special attack, and I believe access to ice beam and hydro pump, making it a very capable mixed attacker to get through walls late game. I do agree though, probably only one set for this guy.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:14 am

I agree with your points. Jolly is the better option when running Shell Smash, and with Sturdy, I can see why it can be viable.

A mixed set did cross my mind (but not Naive) when I was looking at its base stats (and honestly, I half-expected you to suggest that Very Happy). I mean base 83 SpA may not be the best but it's certainly not that bad. Ice Beam on Carracosta can pack a surprise the opponent may not be expecting.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:22 am

Well, getting any stat to +4 is going to hurt. With this setup and weakness policy (not a tough thing to activate btw), you can get to 945/606/358 with mixed attacking capabilities, STAB priority, and one of the best offensive stab type combos in the game.

I see weakness policy increasing both stats and like to utilize both stats. And I love mixed attacker for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:24 am

I think I would go with the jolly sturdy weakness policy set, and Flail as the last move (with Sturdy, you can get great power from Flail)
Back to top Go down
BlueDryBones1
Breeder
BlueDryBones1

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:25 am

Access to Ice Beam and more importantly Focus Blast(risky but otherwise your completely walled by Ferrothorn) I'm seconding a mixed set.

Otherwise it'll have to use Rock Smash as its only physical Fighting move...

Though Ferrothorn argument could be irrelevant as you may not use it in OU but idc as I want to see it happen.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 am

This is great, there's more and more input.

Let's wait for additional opinions from others before I edit the sets to include a mixed one and remove one set (maybe the Swift Swim Set because I don't think people are likely to vouch for it anyway).
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:32 am

I think the ability is going to be Sturdy no matter what, it's just down to choosing between physical and mixed (jolly or... naive?)

And Flail as the last move works in any case, too (even for a mixed set)
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Holy crap, I didn't even know focus miss was a thing. That hits steel (a great many of which are physical in nature). Cool.
Back to top Go down
Bunselpower
Project Manager
Bunselpower

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:39 am

Oh and one more point, since you're counting on weakness policy and sturdy, having Naive vs. Jolly isn't going make a difference at all. The benefits of Naive outweigh the drawbacks of jolly imo.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:41 am

I see Sturdy as the ability too. And Flail is indeed a better choice as the last egg move.

I didn't even think this thing gets Focus Blast, that's definitely cool.

Will edit eventually. Ms. C is right - it all boils down to nature. I will run a poll for that.
Back to top Go down
Mademoiselle C
Goddess
Mademoiselle C

Female

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:54 am

I think you can go with naive unless someone actually opposes it... I said Jolly earlier but I'm perfectly fine with Naive too.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Not much has been discussed since so I'm marking this as In Progress.
Back to top Go down
bash678
Breeder
bash678

Male

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Finished with 6IVs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Finished] Tirtouga   [Finished] Tirtouga Empty

Back to top Go down

[Finished] Tirtouga
Page 1 of 1